Tax Adjustments Applications

By Staff

February 27th, 2024



 Property owners in Burlington may apply to adjust their taxes to reflect a significant change in their property under Sections 357 and 358 of the Municipal Act, which governs property tax adjustments.

Can you get property taxes reduced? Might be worth a try.

How to apply

To apply, download and complete the City of Burlington’s Tax Adjustment Application Form. Submit your completed form to us by email at, by fax to 905-337-7877, or by mail at:

City of Burlington
PO Box 5080, 426 Brant St.
Burlington, ON L7R 4G4

Download Tax Adjustment Application Form (PDF)


We must receive applications under Section 357 by the last day of February of the year following the change.

We must receive applications under Section 358 between March 1 and Dec. 31 for taxes in one or both of the two years preceding the application year.


Examples of eligible criteria include:

  • Changes in how you use the property, which may change the tax classification
  • Changes in how you use the property, so the lands have become exempt from taxes
  • Fire or demolition has razed or damaged structures
  • There has been a “gross or manifest error” in the assessment
  • You are repairing or renovating the property to prevent you from using the land normally for at least three months

We give consideration only to clerical or factual errors resulting in overcharges and not to errors in judgment in assessing the property.


Return to the Front page
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 comment to Tax Adjustments Applications

  • Grahame

    Thank you so much for that info.I have a cottage that was severely damaged and this reduction will be a blessing for me.